Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus
According to Pausanias, the ancient theatre was constructed at the end of the 4th century BC by the architect Polykleitos the Younger. Pausanias praises the theatre for its symmetry and beauty. At a maximum capacity of 13,000 to 14,000 spectators, the theatre hosted music, singing and dramatic games that were included in the worship of Asclepius. It was also used as a means to heal patients, since there was a belief that the observation of dramatic shows had positive effects on mental and physical health.
Today, the monument attracts a large number of Greek and foreign visitors and is used for the performance of ancient drama plays. The first modern performance conducted at the theatre was Sophocles’s tragedy Electra. It was played in 1938, directed by Dimitris Rontiris, starring Katina Paxinou and Eleni Papadaki.
The Little Theatre of Epidaurus
Its construction started in the 4th century B.C. and was originally built to cover the needs of this small city-state, so its size was not big. It had 9 tiers and 18 rows of seats and could host about 2,000 spectators. Some seats have inscriptions which show that the theatre was dedicated to god Dionissos and was built in sections.
Ancient Sunken City
Archaeological Museum of Epidaurus
At present the monastery attracts many pilgrims who come here to hear the harmonious psalms of the nuns under the light of the candles and be accommodated in the hospices of the monastery with the great view.